Toronto, Ontario and Vancouver real estate boards urge suspension of open houses due to coronavirus outbreak

Our recent feature in the Globe and Mail.

The Real Estate Council of Ontario, which regulates the Realtor profession, said in an update Monday that it also recommends an end to open houses, except when “absolutely necessary,” but has stopped short of banning them.

Stephen Glaysher, a Realtor with Re/Max Urban Toronto, said in a note that he had already noticed a “significant downturn” in activity for the Toronto region in recent days, based on MLS data.

The numbers show that while overall sales between March 1 and 19 were up about 22 per cent this year compared to last, for the March 16 to 19 stretch, sales were down 16 per cent compared with last year.

Showings were also already down to 48 for last Thursday, compared with 150 the previous Thursday, Mr. Glaysher said.

Said Warde, a Realtor at Royal LePage, said he was encouraging buyers and sellers to hold off on the market if there isn’t a necessity, but that some people are still in a position where they need to find a home.

“I’m not taking anybody out unless they are in a situation where they need to buy,” he said.

He’s also pushed for more virtual showings and finding alternatives to in-person viewings.

Real estate boards have also waived a rule requiring listed properties to be available for showings.

View the full article on the Globe and Mail website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *